Thursday, April 28, 2011

Door Paintings

A year back while holidaying in India, I had come across the brilliant art works by this artist....K.R.Santhana Krishnan from Chennai. His work known as 'Door Paintings' are inspired by the entrance to houses in the agraharam(place where the bhramins live) on his way to his college, in his home town of Kumbakonam. It's amazing to note that every little details has been worked out so well, be it... the advertisements or the oil stains upon the lamp spaces on the walls, the house number, the turmeric or kumkum marks on the door, the texture of the walls etc.! And its all about what you see when you peep into a house. My special liking is towards his mixed media work which could be a replica of real doors! Done on wood with accessories like lock, knob/handle etc. they look real! And he does these in various sizes from a 12 x 18 to almost life size! I am inspired! You have to check his works at Door paintings.

 The acrylic  paintings...

 The mixed media wonders....

     My favorites! Do you notice the peacock handle in door 1 and the lock in door2? And what about the sculptures carved on the door frame? Wonderful..... aren't they!

6 comments:

  1. these are all so amazing. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. so beautiful and unique!! the details are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous pieces of art! The mixed media pieces are especially nice! How I'd love to have one of these at home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Geetha!You have NO idea how grateful I am to have come blog hopping here today! I've been trying to find this artist for a whole year now!! The mixed media pictures you've blogged about here, I saw them at Focus Gallery in Madras a year or 2 ago. I didn't buy anything then, but his lovely work has been stayed with me ever since and I've been trying to track him down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love this post Geetha.. Am hopping on to Santhana Krishnan's link right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Geetha,
    I am K.R.Santhana krishnan, door painting artist. Thank you for posting few of my paintings in your blog. I live in Chennai, just traveled to London for 2 months. My website is http://doorpaintings.com

    ReplyDelete